Thursday, June 08, 2006

Top Five PR Books

As a sequel to an earlier blog this week on the five greatest advertising books, here are the supposed top five books for PR Pros from Apryl Duncan:

1) Effective Public Relations by Scott M. Cutlip, Allen H. Center, Glen M. Broom (Preface), Prentice Hall.

2) Public Relations Kit for Dummies by Eric Yaverbaum, Bob Bly (Contributor), Hungry Minds Inc.

3) Bulletproof News Releases by Kay Borden, Franklin Sarrett Publishing.

4) Publicity and Media Relations Checklists by David R. Yale, Anne Knudsen (Editor), NTC Business Books.

5) The Handbook of Strategic Public Relations & Integrated Communications by Clarke L. Caywood (Editor), McGraw-Hill Companies.

Number one is definitely on my list, but as for the rest, I think they are debatable. In reality, they are probably as good as any, but I think a media training book, and a good crisis PR book are musts. I like Media Training 101: A Guide to Meeting the Press by Sally Stewart and Risk Issues and Crisis Management by Michael Regester and Judy Larkin.

The top 5 PR area demonstrates a lack of visionaries in PR right now, and historically. The depth isn’t there like advertising, and in many ways that is because PR is only now coming into its own as a primary marketing discipline.

What a great, exciting day!!!! We had the big pitch this morning, which went very well. Then we had a second less formal introductory meeting in the afternoon, which also went well. With both of my trusted parties in play, I got to see the full team at work and it was excellent.

Most importantly, the first prospect loved the pitch, and we got “great job” and “thank you” emails from two team players. The pitch style was fun, and my two key players got to shine on their own. It was nice to be the “chief executive” in that scenario, as I trusted them and did not have to interrupt, instead letting them stand on their own strengths.

If you have an executive who interrupts the team all the time, beware. This person has identified themselves as 1) a person who doesn’t trust the team's skills and/or 2) is too insecure to let anyone else speak. Based on my experiences, I am convinced that the really good clients are repelled by such personalities. It really comes down to a style of attraction versus one of promotion. I prefer attraction.

Next on the list, Woolly Mammoth Theatre Friday tonight with my wife and getting my presentation ready for Saturday’s Washington Independent Writers Conference. Have a great weekend!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

del.icio.us: Save This Page