Sunday, January 28, 2007

Learning

On November 26th, I blogged a visioning exercise and in the time that has passed I’ve had two of the visions come true. Currently, I’m serving on the board of the Cultural Development Corporation, and yesterday we adopted a rescue pug named Boomer.

Additionally, the company moved into offices in Old Town Alexandria on Montgomery St. Not quite as campy as Del Ray, but certainly fun and convenient. It’s amazing what happens when the goals are clear, the vision is set, and you just take daily action steps to achieve them.

Last week I was invited to and joined a Mastermind group. If you’re curious as to exactly what Mastermind group does, check out Karyn Greenstreet’s concise summary. In short, using a commitment to principles, a small group of CEOs drive each other to great successes. The group should help the company significantly, challenging me to grow and fit the shoes that I’m creating.

Part of the group’s commitment is reading dynamic books. I just ordered Napoleon Hill’s Think and Grow Rich (mandatory) and Malcolm Gladwell’s the Tipping Point (oft suggested to me) on audio book. I have a hard time reading business books anymore, probably because of the heavy workload, but audio books work. The new reading is good, because I’ve been driving around listening to the Book of Five Rings and Denis Waitley’s psychology of Winning on CD for the past couple of months (when I’m not grooving to XM radio).

With the mastermind group, the very robust experiences that are teaching me everyday plus Dale Carnegie, it figures to be a great year. Here’s to learning.

Got paid on Friday. Two months in a row now at or almost at my expected wage. I’m matching my old base salary from a year ago, plus 5% to help compensate for social security, etc. It’s not my ultimate vision for compensation, but it’s putting food on the table. I skipped October and November (a very painful couple of months) to help get #1 on board. A leap of faith, but it paid off. Now we’re going gangbusters.

Monday’s quotes:

“Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence.” - Abigail Adams

“Learning is not compulsory… neither is survival.” – W. Edmonds

“To know yet to think that one does not know is best; not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.” - Lao-Tzu

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

del.icio.us: Save This Page