Saturday, January 13, 2007

MLK Monday

It’s Saturday, due to some home repair and other factors, I switched my day off. All good as they say.

Still I am writing for Monday’s entry, and it’s an unusual one, Martin Luther King Day. Certainly I hope most folks will take a moment to remember the great impact this man had on our society, and the world as a whole. This week’s quotes are in his honor.

Ramping up continues. Line of credit is secured, thank god. No more sweating pay roll. Now we can weather the 30-60-90s a little better. BofA provided me with way too much credit, so I had it reduced by 70%. I don’t want to use the credit lines. Everything in this business has been self-funded, and the last thing I need to do now is get into to credit issues. But the line does provide good back-up.

Speaking of back up, McGuire Associates is now officially my controller, handling invoices, etc. This makes me more available to the clients and new biz efforts. And I am 100 percent sure that Angela and Kathleen will do a better job of collecting and managing finances. You have to know your strengths.
Walked away from a mega-deal today, a Moby Dick type of deal that I’ve been chasing for a while. It just did not look good for us. The EVP of sales and marketing wants us, and the president wants a NY agency. I’d say we are not on the right side of the fence. And given the continuing drag towards a decision, it became decreasingly likely that we would win. Sometimes you have to cut your losses. Next.

So we continue to have fun. Ups, downs, whatever may come. I must say that I am throughly enjoying this. Starting a company has been a very rewarding personal experience that has opened my eyes in many ways.

A special edition of Monday quotes, all of which are attributed to Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.:

“All progress is precarious, and the solution of one problem brings us face to face with another problem.”

“The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.”

“Everybody can be great because anybody can serve. You don’t have to have college degree to serve. You don’t have to make your subject and verb agree to serve. You only need a heart full of grace. A soul generated by love.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

del.icio.us: Save This Page