Sunday, September 24, 2006

Clear the Decks

The bonus entry for Friday on Pearlstein’s article had a lot of value-added thought, so I’m going to try to keep this entry short. A lot of immediate work won last week plus retainer #2 for 2007, and it was work that I had tagged as low probability. All of my high percentage deals (each is for a retainer) are still on the table, and I think they’re going to hit in the next couple of weeks.

It’s time to clear the decks of any existing work to get ready for the new work, which could begin as soon as Friday. So, pushing hard and getting stuff knocked out today and tomorrow, mostly writing. Working on wrapping up the white paper (edits will start coming in this week), writing marketing collateral for a client, and PR for a third. Plus there’s always ongoing blog work.

It also means it’s time to seriously engage my candidates in next rounds of discussions and if necessary, heavy interviews. I should also get a lawyer going on employment stuff. By the time I meet with the lawyer, I’ll know about the high probability deals and can definitively act (or not, if the deals don’t come in).

Preparation has paid off, so most of this is turn-key for me. Once I get stuff inked, send the offer letter(s), purchase personal health insurance plan for said employee, get the computer, and ask my virtual office vendor to turn my deal up to “live.” The office will be in the north part of Old Town Alexandria.

Based on market feedback & demand (these new clients will be the 13th & 14th), I’ve decided to reposition the company this fall to Marketing strategy, PR, and Word of Mouth /Internet marketing. I only have two clients that involve design work, and I’m not actively selling it. So writing and D&A services can be folded under marketing strategy. What is new is the Word of Mouth category, and I have four different clients there.

In addition, there is that as many of my clients are consumer as they are B2G… that needs to be weighed into the mix, too. Revenue wise, B2G is still the place to be, for now. I will probably roll out the evolved offering when I change my address, and move into the new office.

OK, here are Monday’s quotes:

Good business leaders create a vision, articulate the vision, passionately own the vision, and relentlessly drive it to completion. – Jack Welch

Vision without action is merely a dream. Action without vision just passes the time. Vision with action can change the world! - Joel Arthur Baker

A dream is your creative vision for your life in the future. You must break out of your current comfort zone and become comfortable with the unfamiliar and the unknown. - Denis Waitley

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

del.icio.us: Save This Page