Monday, September 04, 2006

The Essence of Networking: Giving

No Ernesto flooding down in the Huntington portion of Alexandria. Although watching Cameron Run’s waters fill to the brims and a little beyond made me wonder if Fairfax County plans to resolve this flooding issue anytime soon.

On to the week ahead. I am about to read Jeffrey Gitomer’s new book, Little Black Book of Connections. I loved his Little Red Book of Sales, which single handedly shook me out of a sales slump last winter. This one’s on networking, and I think its opening salvo is worthy of a blog entry and a Monday quote (even though it’s Tuesday due to the holiday):

“Connecting is all about your friendliness and your ability to engage, and your willingness to give value first.”

I think the operative word is giving. By giving to others, people are often attracted to you. Not necessarily because they are takers, but because you are doing the right thing, you are contributing to their well-being, and in the spirit of a community member. Novel concept. People want to get to know folks that make contributions to their lives.

To some this would be the antithesis of business. Yes, Gordon Gecko may say that greed is good, but not all people are attracted to “vampires.” At least that’s how I see it. People that take, take, take have little to offer and often suck the life out of companies. Yeah, some make money, but there is certainly a price to pay.

So, in summary I can’t wait to read this Gitomer book. His opening sentence tells me he understands the essence of networking. I am sure it will reinvigorate my networking approach.

I found peace with the deal I lost (or got postponed on). It bugged me because these folks know what good service I offer and how bad their current service is, but still they are not willing to fire the agency… yet. But maybe that in its own right is a zen thing. While not all people are attracted to vampires, some are. They like bad service, they accept mediocrity, and in some cases expect it.

Well if that’s the case, it only makes sense that they wouldn’t want to work with me. I may not hit a homerun every time, but I am about producing results. That’s the only thing that matters in business.

OK, here are the rest of your quotes:

“If service is the rent you pay for your existence on this earth, are you behind in your rent?”
Robert G. Allen

Great opportunities to help others seldom come, but small ones surround us daily.”
Sally Koche

“The deed is everything, the glory naught.”
Goethe

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

del.icio.us: Save This Page