Sunday, July 30, 2006

Five Things to Jump Start a Week

OK, so the week is beginning (Yes, it’s Sunday, but as a start-up, weekend work is the norm). So I figured that mixing this up a little bit would be fun, so here are my top five ways to jump start my week.

  1. Exercise: Begin the week with a long bike ride or a thorough work-out. It airs out the mind, clearing it of clutter, background noise and other garbage. This provides focus for the coming effort.
  2. Meditation: Yes, this is something I engage in regularly. Whether it is reading some thought provoking literature, using stream of conciousness writings, or just sitting quietly for a half hour, this, too, clears the mind, preparing it for the trials ahead.
  3. Plan a break: This acknowledges the human aspect of life. You can’t go on in a relentless push. This week bowling is on the agenda, mid-week.
  4. Incentives. Again, recognizing the human element. I’m thinking that my goal of garnering an account with reoccurring revenue will result in…. a weekend away with my wife. Perhaps Montreal? This goal is big, and may not be achieved this week, but it is certainly on the map and something to strive for.
  5. Commitment: Commit to seeing it through, and do my very best one press call at a time, one word at time, one meeting at a time. It’s not enough to just show up. I must give my best.

If you want to see a good movie, check out Miami Vice. An unusually dark art house approach to this often laughed at TV series, the movie was pretty good. We also saw Love’s Labor Lost at the Shakespeare this weekend. Certainly enjoyable, though I am not sure if all the modernization efforts worked for me.

OK, here are this week’s quotes for you:

“The irony of commitment is that it's deeply liberating -- in work, in play, in love.”
Anne Morriss

“A man's word and his intestinal fortitude are two of the most honorable virtues known to mankind.”
Jim Nantz

“Anyone can dabble, but once you've made that commitment, your blood has that particular thing in it, and it's very hard for people to stop you.”
Bill Cosby

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

del.icio.us: Save This Page